To me, Memorial Day officially means the start of summer. I’m SO ready for lake days and pools days. But with summer JUST starting, I don’t have a tan yet. Not. Even. Close. My legs are SO pale. I love getting spray tans before heading to the beach or shooting blog photos. Spray tans are a lot safer than tanning in a tanning bed (no skin cancer for me!). Spray tans obviously don’t last as long as an actual tan, but there are steps you can take to make it last a tad longer. Here are the steps I follow for preparing for a spray tan:
The Night Before:
- Before jumping in the shower, I use the EcoTools Body Brush to exfoliate away the dry, dead skin cells. I brush in an upward motion starting with my feet and ending with my arms.
- I shower like normal, and make sure to use an exfoliating loofah and moisturizing body wash. I love this body wash by Dove.
- I shave my legs. It’s best to shave the night before, and not right before you go. Otherwise, the spray can get in your pores and leave them discolored.
- I apply body lotion on my legs, arms, and feet (the parts of my body that get the most dry). I use a body lotion I found at Bath and Body Works, but any brand should work!
- I shower like normal using an exfoliating loofah and moisturizing body wash.
- I use a sugar scrub on my feet, legs, and arms. I use one from Bath and Body Works, but any brand will do!
- I apply body lotion to my hands, feet, ankles, elbows, and knees. These tend to look patchy after my spray tan from dry skin, so I try to moisturize them a lot!
- I put on loose clothing like shorts, a baggy t-shirt, and flip flops. I also do not apply makeup the rest of the night. I make sure this is the last thing I do for the day, so the closer I get my spray tan to bed time, the better!
During your spray tan, make sure to follow all the instructions the tanning salon gives you. I usually get the Versa Spa, level 2, clear, and add the moisturizing spray at the end. I apply the blending lotion to my hands, elbows, knees, ankles, and feet.
After Your Spray Tan:
- The first thing I do when I get out of the booth is wipe off the bottoms of my feet, hands, and my toenails and fingernails with the towel the salon provides. Otherwise, they tend to turn orange!
- I keep on baggy clothes for at least 12 hours.
- I also don’t shower for 12 hours.
- I apply lotion every morning and night.
- I apply Jergens self tanner on my legs after I shower to keep my tan looking fresh. My spray tan tends to fade on the bottom of my legs faster.
I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it really does make your tan look better and last longer. If you don’t have dry skin like me, then you might not have to exfoliate the night before, and just do everything right before you go. Do you have any spray tan tips? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading!
1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5
TGIF! I thought today would never get here. I know some of you already know this, but on Monday I started a new position at my full time job (I finally got a promotion, yayyy!). It’s more pay and a lot more work! I’ve been training all week, and there is so much to learn! But so far I’m really enjoying it.
There are so many items this week that I’m loving, so it was hard to narrow it down to only 5 items! I have to say though, that Jergens lotion is a pale girls dream come true. After the first application, I can totally notice a difference on my legs! It also doesn’t have a strong self tanner smell like other lotions.
I know when you see the price on that Chloe bag you are going to be like “Whoa, girl, I can’t afford that!” Trust me, I can’t either. But I did find a dupe that looks EXACTLY like this for under $25! You can find it here. I fell in love with this H&M lips tee MONTHS ago, but it sold out super fast. Now it is back in stock, and I was finally able to order one! If you sign up for their newsletter, you can get a coupon code that will make it under $15!
These Baublebar earrings remind me of a mermaid! So you know I had to pick them up last week when they were having a sale, and I’m really excited to wear them over the summer with adorable wedges like the ones above. Wedges are back ladies, so enjoy wearing them over the summer (they are seriously the comfiest heels you will ever wear).
Which ones of these are your fav? Let me know in the comments!
P.S.: In the next couple weeks, Styled Muse will be getting a HUGE makeover. I will be switching hosts and redoing the theme on the site. What are some things you would like to see on the site? Favorite places to shop? Outfit guides? Let me know! I want this to be a website for you to come and get outfit or beauty inspiration from! 🙂 ❤
Summer is just around the corner, and what does that mean? Getting that perfect tan! But before pools open and beach days start, there are other ways of getting that glow: sunless tanners.
I signed up with Influenster to test products, and one item I received was Airbrush Legs by Sally Hansen! It’s a temporary leg makeup that can be easily washed off with soap and water at the end up the day.
It goes on smooth without streaks and does give you the perfect summer glow (as you can see in the photo above). My legs are pasty white, and after applying this product they actually had a natural looking color. The downfall? It rubs off on literally everything. My white rug now has orange spots where I was sitting (I mean, I guess it probably wasn’t a good idea in the first place… but it looked great for the photo, right?) It is also really messy, I somehow managed to splatter it on my bathroom floor, sink, and bathroom rug. Luckily it came right off with makeup remover wipes.
After trying this product, I decided it wasn’t for me. I have always used Jergens Natural Glow moisturizer and plan to stick with it.
Have you tried the Sally Hansen leg makeup? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below!
(All products were received complimentary for testing purposes)